Welcome friends! For today’s decor roundup I’m sharing the best affordable area rugs. While they can be an investment, rugs are so important for creating a designer look on a budget. Area rugs help define rooms in an open concept home, create cozy living spaces, and set the tone for your decor. Thankfully, there are many budget friendly options out there so you don’t have to break the bank to add a rug to your space. I’ll be sharing rug sizing tips, my favorite rugs in our home, and a huge roundup of 80+ affordable rugs. Let’s get started!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you! This helps support my blog and allows me to continue creating. For my policies, click HERE.
How to Choose the Correct Rug Size
The first step to selecting a rug for your space is choosing a size. The most common mistake is selecting a rug that is too small. As with most aspects of design, scale is so important! Resist the temptation to size down–the extra square footage is worth the additional cost. And with so many affordable rugs out there, it is possible to find a budget friendly option to fit your needs.
Examples of Rug Sizes in Our Home
For reference, here are the rug sizes I have used in our home:
- Primary Bedroom: 9×12 rug under a king bed
- Living Room: 8’6″ x 11’6″ rug with four accent chairs and a sofa
- Guest Room: 7’6″ x 9’6″ rug under a queen bed
- Dining Room: 7 x 10 rug under an extendable dining table with 6-8 chairs
- Ladybug’s Room: 7’6″ x 9’6″ under a full bed
Area Rug Sizing Tips
Here are some tips for selecting rug sizes for the rooms in your home:
- Bedroom: When choosing a rug for a bedroom, as a general rule I would use an 8×10 under a full or queen bed, and a 9×12 under a king bed. You should leave at least twelve inches of space between the wall and the edge of the rug, so you may need to size down depending on your room.
- Living Room: You can either place the furniture entirely on top of the rug, or place only the front legs of the furniture on the rug (as you can see with our sofa above). It is necessary to have at least the front legs of the furniture on the rug though–do not float a rug in the middle of your living room! In this case the rug is too small and creates a disconnected look rather that a cozy and defined space.
- Dining Room: For a dining room, make sure that all of the legs of the chairs will remain on the rug even when they are pulled out from the table. This will create a functional space that feels grounded.
Best Affordable Area Rugs Roundup
Here are some of my favorite rug brands and styles! Many are vintage look rugs which add warmth and subtle color. Others are patterned or woven. Keep in mind that natural fiber rugs such as jute or wool may shed a little, so be sure to read the description and consider your needs.
Best Affordable Area Rugs from Rugs USA
Our primary bedroom rug is from Rugs USA, and they have so many pretty options!
Overstock Rugs (Loloi)
Best Affordable Area Rugs from Target
Lately Target has been putting out lots of beautiful rugs! I especially like this plaid wool/cotton option.
Chris Loves Julia x Loloi Rugs
Chris Love Julia‘s collaboration with Loloi includes so many vintage style beauties!
Ruggable Washable Rugs
Finally, it wouldn’t be a rug roundup without mentioning Ruggable! Our previous living room rug was from their collection and (2022 update) I recently purchased a runner for our kitchen too! Ruggable rugs are machine washable and also easy to spot clean. They are a bit of an investment but in my experience, the quality is there!
Shop All of the Best Affordable Area Rugs Below
Here are ALL of the rugs for comparison!
I hope you found this roundup informative and helpful as you hunt for the perfect rug for your space! Tell me, which is your favorite? Do you prefer vintage look, neutral, or a pattern? XO,