Welcome friends! It’s hard to believe it, but we’re halfway through spring and summertime will soon be here. While it is fun to plan a getaway–and we’re certainly looking forward to it after the last year!–I always enjoy bringing a little laid-back summer style to our home as well. Our guest room was in need of a refresh, so I took the opportunity to create an elevated yet casual bedroom look that will transition easily with the seasons. I’m especially excited to be working with Serena and Lily to highlight one of my favorite products from their beautiful shop: the Topanga pillow cover! I’ll be sharing my review of the Topanga pillow and tips for dreamy, California casual bedroom vibes. Let’s get started!
This post is sponsored by Serena and Lily, and affiliate links are provided. As always, all opinions are my own. By clicking a link and making a purchase, you can help support my blog at no additional cost to you. For my policies, click here.
California Casual Bedroom Refresh
It has been a while since I shared our guest room! My goal with this refresh was to take this space from cozy and traditional to California casual. Even the beach landscape above the bed was calling for a laid back vibe!
First, I decided to use fewer decorative pillows for a less is more approach. The previous look included five, and reducing the number to three helped create a relaxed design. I have used and loved one of Serena and Lily’s Topanga pillow covers since last year (see it in our fall living room) and felt that the washed linen would be the perfect casual look for our guest room! To add subtle contrast against the beige headboard, I used two 24″ covers in gray, and an ivory lumbar.
At first I wasn’t sure if our traditional rug would blend with a California casual vibe, but I think it really works. The gray pillows pull out the cooler tones from the rug and provide balance (whereas the brown pillows made the whole space feel warm). The subtle contrast of the bedding creates a relaxed feel.
Did you notice this beauty on the nightstand? It is Serena and Lily’s Poetto vase, and it has been on my wishlist for a while. I was so happy to add it to my collection! I styled fresh florals for these photos, but am also excited to try it out with faux greenery.
I am so pleased our summery guest room refresh! I think it goes to show that a few small changes can completely alter the vibe of a space. I’m going to share some more tips for casual bedroom styling below, if you would like to recreate the look.
Topanga Pillow Review
I wanted to share the pros and cons I have found with the Topanga pillow cover, in case you are thinking of purchasing and would like my honest review:
Topanga Pillow Review: Pros
- Unique Style: While the washed linen look is popular these days, I think the Topanga pillow cover is a top choice. The ivory, gray, and blue options each capture laid-back coastal style. The hand-knotted tassels add great texture and are something I have not seen elsewhere.
- Fabric: The fabric is 100% linen, which is both soft and durable. It is a chambray weave which means that dyed yarns are woven with white yarns for a relaxed look.
- Quality: As with all Serena and Lily products I own, the quality is excellent. Well sewn seams, hidden zippers, quality textiles, and attention to detail make this a luxury product.
Topanga Pillow Review: Cons
- Price: I try to strike a balance between budget friendly and investment pieces in my home, and the Topanga pillow cover falls into the latter category for me. I feel they are worth the price, but they are more expensive than other pillows I own.
- Care: These covers are listed as “dry clean only”–I’m guessing because the tassels would not do well in a washing machine. Because of this, I keep these on the end of my sofa or on a bed where they will not experience as much wear and tear–usually in the form of jumping kiddos! It does not bother me to be a little careful, but it is a consideration.
Tips for a California Casual Bedroom Look
Here are a few tips for designing a casual bedroom:
- Natural textiles: Linen is somehow both relaxed and refined, and wrinkles are acceptable–how cool is that? I have been adding linen bedding to my collection slowly since it can be an investment, but smaller items like throw pillows work too.
- Neutrals with subtle variation: Soft, natural colors are your friends. Here I used beige and gray with white bedding, but don’t be afraid to try the “tone on tone” look focusing on only one color with slight variation.
- Relaxed layers: It’s hard for me to not karate chop my pillows 😉 but a textured throw draped across the end of the bed looks so inviting. Also, try cutting back the number of pillows!
- Minimal nightstand styling: Keep it simple and focus on those neutrals, with the exception of greenery for a natural element.
I hope you found this post inspiring and helpful as you plan your summer decor! Below I am linking some of my other Serena and Lily favorites that would be perfect for a California casual bedroom:
(I actually have the Flynn wall sconces in my primary bedroom!)
Let me know below: what is your favorite way to style your home for the warmer months? I always enjoy seeing your spaces on Instagram, so be sure to tag me there if you try out any of these tips. XO,
Hi, beautiful room. What paint color is your guest room.
Thanks so much Maggie! The wall color is Cameo White by Behr.