If you are on the hunt for an in-depth guide to pillow combos and sources online, welcome! You have come to the right place. Pillows add coziness to any room are an affordable way to refresh your space. They are also my favorite home decor item to collect! You too? Whether it be a bold pattern, cozy texture, or classic stripe, pillows seem to make the design world go round. Keep reading for throw pillow combinations, styling tips, and the best places to buy pillows. This post is a long one, so check out the table of contents to jump to a specific section!
This post contains affiliate links. By clicking a link and making a purchase, you can help support my blog at no additional cost to you! For my policies, click HERE.
Throw Pillow Combinations: Save and Splurge
First up, throw pillow combinations–updated for 2022! (Many of the pillows I linked originally were no longer available, so I created new combinations that I hope you love.) Each style has a budget and investment grouping. Scroll to the bottom of this post for even more pillow finds!
Throw Pillow Combinations by Room
Here are my tips for styling pillows on a sofa or sectional:
- Place a larger pillow at the back. Here I have used 24″ pillows at each end and in the center of my sectional.
- Layer smaller pillows in front. The rest of my pillows are mostly 20″ with a lumbar thrown in, but 22″ would also work!
- Include a few solid, basic pillows. This gives your eyes a place to rest so the design isn’t too busy. In the second photo, I used a tasseled linen pillow on the left and a subtle plaid on the right.
- Feel free to mix stripes and patterns! The key is to keep things balanced. Notice how the stripes on the mauve (similar) and green (similar) pillows are oriented in opposite directions. On the left, I balanced a textured stripe pillow (similar) with a floral print (similar).
SHOP THE LOOK
I love styling cozy bedrooms, and layered pillows play a big role in the design. Here are a few tips for styling pillows on a bed:
- Again, place larger pillows at the back. Begin with euro (26″) or 24″ pillows for your foundation. Generally you will use two for a queen bed and three for a king bed.
- Layer smaller pillows in the front. Try two 20″ pillows with a lumbar at the front. You could also group two to three different pillows at the front for a more casual look!
- Decide whether you prefer a bold or soft look. In our guest room I included deeper tones for an earthy color palette. In our primary bedroom I like to keep things light to balance our charcoal headboard.
- Don’t forget texture! Include pillows with texture to add to the coziness of the space.
SHOP THE LOOK
Where to Buy Throw Pillows
Here are some of my favorite pillow sources! I am sharing larger stores as well as small shops. My strategy is to combine budget finds with investment pieces that really elevate the design.
On trend budget friendly pillows in a variety of styles. Many are sewn seam, but the Threshold with Studio McGee pillows have zippers so that you can use down inserts if desired. Be sure to check out the new-ish Opalhouse Designed with Jungalow collection for cozy boho style.
Super affordable pillows, I especially like the My Texas House line. Similar to Target, some are sewn seam, but some have zippers. This is something I always check in the product description when browsing!
Perhaps the most affordable pillow covers around, especially since most are made of cotton or linen! These are covers only and you purchase inserts separately. H&M is my go to store for solid or striped pillows and boho options. The only downside is that their collection changes frequently, so if you see something you like, don’t wait!
Serena & Lily
Classic and coastal pillows with beautiful patterns, embroidery, and quality textiles. These pieces are an investment and add a high end look and feel to your space. Disclosure: I am on the Serena and Lily Creator team and have worked with them in the past. You can read my review of their linen bedding and the Topanga pillow!
McGee & Co
Hands down some of the prettiest pillows around. Prepare to pay designer price, but keep in mind that the textiles are high quality and curated by the one and only Shea McGee!
Quality basics and traditional patterns at a moderate price point.
Designer Tip: Support Small Shops
Pillows from small shops are often an investment because they are handmade from vintage or handwoven textiles. These pieces add so much character to a space and I love supporting small businesses when I can!
Xasmin Interiors (Etsy)
Hackner Home (Etsy)
Lots of great basics, stripes and plaids.
Laurel and Blush (Etsy)
Lovely floral patterns and tassels.
Huge selection of African mudcloth, grain sack, Indigo, Hmong, and Indian textile pillows. My go to for vintage floral pillows!
A Few More Etsy Shops to Check Out
100 Throw Pillow Favorites for 2022
Updated: Here are my favorite pillows and pillow covers this year!
I hope you found this post helpful for creating and styling throw pillow combinations. You will have to let me know which look is your favorite! XO,