The secret to a cozy and stylish bedroom? It’s all about layers! Keep reading to learn how to layer bedding for a high end look that is also functional.
Welcome back friends! It’s WEEK 4 of the One Room Challenge already, I can hardly believe it. I’ve loved following everyone’s progress so far and can’t wait for reveal day in two weeks! This week I’m going to walk you through how to layer bedding to create a cozy and stylish space. Let’s get started!
See my previous ORC updates here:
- Week 1: Modern Traditional Guest Room Mood Board
- Week 2: The Best White Paint for Bedrooms
- Week 3: One Room Challenge Progress
ORC Week 4 Progress
I have to say, this was one of the weeks I’ve been waiting for since the beginning! After all of the planning, painting, and furniture, it was finally time for some styling–my favorite 🙂 I’m going to give you step by step tips for layering bedding in the next section, but first I wanted to show you a few of the pieces I chose!
This post contains affiliate links. By clicking a link and making a purchase, you can help support my blog at no additional cost to you! To read my policies, click here.
You would not believe how much I agonized over my pillow selection–yikes! The problem was, as much as I adored the pillows in my mood board, they were pretty pricey 🙁 I finally spotted these textured terra cotta pillows, and while they are not the designer pillows I would have chosen if I had an unlimited budget, I just love the color and texture and think they work so well here. I also love that they didn’t break the bank 😉
Speaking of the nightstands, here’s a quick look at one with some decorative accents! I’m not sure if this is the final look, but I’ve been having fun playing around with pieces I already have.
Finally, I added this gray sweater knit blanket to the end of the bed. I think the gray is a nice contrast to the warmer tones of the pillows and quilt. The bed is neutral overall, but the variation of colors and textures adds interest.
Layering Bedding, Step by Step
And now, here are my tips for how to layer bedding to create a pretty, high end look that is also functional.
- Sheets: Start your bed with your favorite sheets. I love the crisp, clean look of white sheets (these are my favorite) but feel free to experiment with other colors if you so desire! Natural fabrics such as cotton or linen strike the perfect balance between warm and breathable.
- Quilt: Next, layer on a quilt or blanket. In the past I have used on micro plush blankets, but while they are cozy, they are not the prettiest for layering. For our guest room, I chose this linen blend quilt in a neutral color to add visual interest. I folded the top of the quilt down far enough so that the bed pillows would lay on the sheets. I also chose to tuck in the sheets and quilt for the sake of styling, but I probably won’t do this regularly as it is a bit more work 😉
- Pillows and duvet: Again, you can never go wrong with a white cotton duvet cover. Mine is no longer available, but I used this similar option in our master and actually prefer it, since the buttons are not visible at the bottom (also, budget friendly!). As for the bed pillows, you can lay them down as shown, or prop them up against the headboard. You can also stack multiple bed pillows!
- Decorative pillows and throw: For this queen sized bed, I used two 24 inch decorative pillows at the back (20 or 22 inches would also work) and a 24×14 inch lumbar in front. For a king, you would want to use 24 or 26 inch pillows in the back. Personally, I prefer to err on the side of larger pillows! For the end of the bed, I added a sweater knit throw to add extra texture and warmth. Drape the blanket casually so it doesn’t look too perfect.
Tip: When layering your bedding, be sure to consider color as well as texture. You can see that I alternated neutrals and whites (cream headboard, white sheets, tan quilt, white duvet, gray blanket) for contrast. I also made sure to incorporate a variety of textures to keep my neutral bed interesting! 🙂
I’m so glad you stopped by Caitlin Marie Design today 🙂 Do you have any bedding favorites or tips? I would love it if you would leave a comment below! And be sure to enjoy everyone’s One Room Challenge week 4 updates HERE. Hope you have a wonderful day,