Layering throw pillows can feel overwhelming with so many patterns, textures, and colors to choose from! Today I’m sharing tips for creating beautiful combinations to suit your style.
Happy Friday friends! I hope you have had a bright week. It is warming up around here, and yesterday was the first day that truly felt like summer. It has me ready for trips to the ice cream shop, catching fireflies, and of course, summer decorating!
Today I’ll be sharing tips for layering throw pillows, specifically patterns which are perfect for summertime. I’m so excited to be collaborating with Heather from Aloe Place Studio on this post! Heather sources high quality, handmade textiles from around the world to create her beautiful pillow covers. I have a coupon code to share (!!!) so stay tuned at the end of this post! Now grab a coffee (or maybe a lemonade?) and let’s get started!
Thank you so much to Heather from Aloe Place Studio for sending me the gorgeous pillow covers for this post! As always, all opinions are my own.
This post contains affiliate links. By clicking a link and making a purchase, you can help support my blog at no additional cost to you! For my full disclosure policy, click here.
Tips for Mixing Patterns and Layering Throw Pillows
Not sure about you, but sometimes I am a bit wary when it comes to mixing patterns! I love clean, simple style and do not want our home to feel busy. Since I’ve been painting most of my walls white, however, I’m starting to get a bit more adventurous with pattern and color!
So, here are some tips for creating a calm, balanced look with your throw pillows:
- Start with a neutral or subtle pattern as a base. I have chosen a slightly larger pillow (20×20) with a pretty gray striped cover. The uniformity of the stripes and the neutral color gives the eye a place to rest. The key here is that the pattern is soft and subtle.
- Layer on one or two contrasting patterns for interest. These can be bolder and brighter, but be sure that the patterns do not clash with one another–keep reading for tips!
- Choose different pattern “sizes.” My dark gray and cream cover has a medium sized pattern, so I chose this indigo blue lumbar with a small pattern. The combo works because the patterns are different sizes and therefore do not compete for your attention. The dark gray pattern grabs the eye, but the blue calms things down.
- Select complimentary colors. In this case, I have two neutral throw pillows, but this look can also work with more color. (Personally, I like having one color as the star of the show, and would choose a subtle second color, but the choice is yours!)
- Consider the fabrics/texture. All three of my pillows have an organic feel and are made with natural materials, which creates a cohesive look. The indigo pillow has the most pronounced texture as it is made with strips of fabric, so that adds some contrast.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment! The great thing about pillow covers is that they are easy to swap out, move around, or store for later! I love changing the tone of our living room by switching out our covers every month or two.
I’m so pleased with the quality of these pillow covers. They are handmade and have hidden zippers–perfect for my hubby and kiddos who throw them any which way! 😉 The handwoven fabrics are beautiful, and I like that the linen backing adds a cohesive look. I hope you will visit Heather’s shop to see all of the lovely pieces she has! You may find her website here, and her Etsy shop here. And be sure to use the COUPON CODE: CMDesign20 for 20% off!
Linking a few of my favorites here!
All so beautiful! Which pillow is your favorite? Apart from the ones I chose, I also love the emerald green pillow, and the simple black lines.
Thank you so much for stopping by today friends! Let me know, what are you excited about for summer? I’ll be sharing more seasonal inspiration soon, so stay tuned 🙂